So you were adventurous enough to try strawberries and balsamic vinegar…why not give this a go?
- 2 limes
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 5 medium-sized ‘long’ peppercorns, one crushed and rest left whole (or use 2 tsp crushed black peppercorns)
- 450g ripe strawberries, hulled and halved, or quartered if large
- vanilla or coconut ice cream, to serve
- Using a vegetable peeler, pare the zest from 1 lime in long strips. Shave away any white pith from the back of the zest (this can make it bitter), then put the zest in a medium pan. Squeeze both of the limes and add the juice to the pan with 3 tbsp water, the sugar and the crushed and whole peppercorns. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, boil, then take off the heat.
- Spread out the strawberries in a serving dish, then pour over the hot syrup and allow to cool. As this happens, the syrup will become rosy pink. Serve at room temperature with scoops of ice cream.