The Canowindra Show has been cancelled for the second year in a row. The three-day event was to be held from September 24 to 26, 2021.
Uncertainty due to COVID-19 pandemic, including stay at home and lockdown orders, was the key issue the Show’s Committee took into consideration when deciding.
The committee wanted to ensure the safety of our town’s people, as well as the wider state audience who regularly enter competitions and attend.
“It was a difficult decision to make and after taking into consideration all the surrounding factors felt this was the right decision to make,” said Committee spokeswoman Sarah Collins.
“The committee was supportive in the decision of not proceeding with the 2021 Canowindra Show,” she said.
“The decision to cancel was based upon the uncertainty of the current COVID situation and the safety of our community.”
Many agricultural shows have been cancelled due this year, despite government assistance to continue the events as they are the social and industrial backbone for rural and regional centres.
Mrs Maynard’s further message to the community and traditional show entrants is that this is not what we all were hoping for. They all hope for their understanding and look forward to seeing all the support from them in the future.
While the main events are off, Showjumping and the Show Ball will go ahead in a COVIDsafe manner.
The Showgirl and Rural Achievement Program are still running.
“The committee would like to take this opportunity to thank every volunteer and sponsor that helps with the Canowindra Show and we look forward to having you all support us in the future,” Mrs Collins said.
Needlework, fine arts, photography and craftwork were featured in the displays, with a giant pumpkin competition were held last year.
They look forward to the event going ahead next year.