Perfect weather saw 120 people come together last Saturday at the Canowindra Historical Museum for a “Champagne and Canapes” reception, to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of The Canowindra Historical Society and Museum, with guests travelling from near and far. The Centre for Volunteering, through CEO Gemma Rygate, provided Certificates of Achievement which were presented at the Museum reception by Dawn Smith, assisting President Ross Cleary.
These Certificates were awarded to members who have been continuously involved with the Historical Society in some active capacity for more than 25 generous years. Dorothy Balcomb, Mim Loomes, Gwen Wythes, Audrey Farley, John Farley, Jill McDonald, Jan Harrison, Gwen Landon, Peggy Nash, Shirley Robson, Bob Robson, Pamela Burnheim and Muriel Yell were the recipients.
Dinner and entertainment followed at the Club, with original poetry by Max Harris, community singing led by Helen Payten and Michael Lindsay, placemats of historic photos and a trivia quiz all adding to the enjoyment of the occasion. The highlight of the night was the special awards and floral bouquets presented by Cabonne Mayor Ian Gosper to Dorothy Balcomb, Audrey Farley, John Farley, Jill McDonald and Jan Harrison in recognition of their continuing sterling service to this community through the Historical Society
and Museum over many, many years. Foundation members Mim Loomes and Dorothy Balcomb cut the Anniversary cake.
The celebrations continue with an Open Day at the Historical Museum this Saturday 9 September, to give everyone the opportunity
to see new and special exhibits. Including the Debutante Dress made by Diane Smith, now gifted to the Museum by the Smith family, the Jack Hore Memorial Cup, rarely seen, and fiercely fought for by Canowindra Rugby League teams between 1926 -1960, the Bradfield map of Canowindra railway yards (Bradfield also being the Engineer who designed and “built” Sydney Harbour Bridge), precious WW1 exhibits a Dolls House and more.
By Ross Cleary