Some would say “only in Canowindra” when you drive past a grand piano on the front of a telehandler in Gaskill St!
The celebrated old concert grand piano from All Saints Anglican Church has been replaced with a much younger model.
The old Collard & Collard, built for Sydney Conservatorium of Music in 1955 has found a new home at Charlie McCarron’s old garage, now owned and being progressively restored by Christian, Jody and Sicily Thun from Canberra.
The Collard & Collard, during its decade at All Saints has been played by top musicians including Simon Tedeschi, Danial DeBora, Maria Raspopova, David Miller and of course our own local pianists, Marion Wilson, Bill Bussman and Ros Bullock.
It may well have a new lease of life once the Thun family has completed converting the huge space at McCarron’s garage into a “multi-function polis” for weddings, concerts and other functions.
The old piano weighs close to a tonne, so Michael Payten kindly used his large telehandler to do the move with help from the team at the Canowindra Men’s Shed, and fortunately with the approval of a motor cycle mounted traffic policeman who was busy in Canowindra on the day!
The newer Kawai piano which was Bill Bussman’s personal instrument for many years will likely be played during Baroquefest this year which will run from 18th – 20th October, with two of the six concerts to be played at All Saints Anglican Church.
Other Baroquefest concerts will be at Wallington Winery, Rosnay Organic Winery and the fabulous setting of the Noojee Lea Homestead on Fish Fossil Drive, just outside Canowindra.
Tickets to some concerts and program details are still available online at www.baroquefest.org.au.