As the village of Canowindra continues preparation for the 2020 Canowindra Balloon Challenge, the key word in 2020 is sustainability and also creating a great experience for everyone involved. Several months ago it appeared the annual event was all but over. Exploring all avenues and options, the difficult decision was to consider winding down the event.
This was not so, with Mr Adam Barrow, Manager of Balloon Operations vowing to not give up without a fight. Forming a brand new committee and working with Cabonne Council and the generosity of Canowindra Services Club, the event will now see hot air balloons continue to fly over Canowindra and light up the town for the annual 2020 Cabonne Community Glow from 15-19 April 2020.
New Canowindra Challenge Incorporated President, Mr Andrew Pull is humbled that the entire town has really got behind the new committee with sponsorship, donations and positive vibes to make 2020 an absolute success.
“This has been a great event for a long time and although there was a hiccup in 2019, let’s not forget how good the event can be for everyone. With local businesses in town showing their commitment to the event, moving forward, they really deserve a sustainable well organised event; an event that moving into the future can really fund itself. The new board are confident of delivering that,” said Mr Pull.
The newly formed executive committee includes President: Andrew Pull, Treasurer: Kim Roberts, Secretary: Sarah Cummings, Board members: Annette Thomas and Jaymee Crowe, Balloon Operations Adam Bar- row and Patron Tommy Jeffs OAM.
The streets and skies will now be brimming with excitement ahead of the event. Visitors, locals and tourists can expect the following highlights:
• Wednesday 15th April: Morning balloon flights followed by the pilots welcome dinner at Canowindra Services Club.
• Thursday 16th April: Morning balloon flights and introducing an all new event that will see the legendary Main Street come alive under the guidance of Tommy Jeffs OAM with fashion parades, live music, grazing plates, judging of best dressed balloon fest windows, busking and prizes, prizes, prizes, fabulous, fun and frolics.
• Friday 17th April: Morning balloon flights and the 2020 Flickerfest short-film festival will be making a comeback thanks to Rosnay Organic held at Canowindra Sports Ground and bound to be a wonderful event under the stars.
• Saturday 18th April: Morning balloon flights and at 3pm the Canowindra Sports Ground gates will open for the 2020 Cabonne Community Glow and Night Markets. Entertainment will include Alikinetic Dancers, Acrobats, Canowindra local the wonderful Bonny Rai performing and Country Music’s award winning Jayne Denham takes the stage. At approximately 7:30pm the Balloon Glow will commence. After the Balloon Glow, head to Canowindra Services Club for AC/DC from 8:30pm.
• Sunday 19th April: The final day of balloons filling the skies and a special chance to watch our field of balloons try and master the Key Grab Challenge.
Tickets to the Cabonne Community Glow can be purchased for $11+Booking Fee at https://www.123tix.com.au/events/7637/2020-balloon-glow with children 15 and under receiving entry on Gold Coin donation at the gates.
If you are a Canowindra local, feel free to see Jaymee Crowe at Canowindra Golf Club or Sarah Cummings at The Shearing Shed Hair and Beauty where you can purchase tickets for $12.