On Saturday, 18 November the Canowindra Squash Club held their annual Club Championships. A total of 35 players took part in the Championships this year, with the preliminary games being played over three nights during the week leading up to the finals.
Monday night saw the ladies and juniors take to the court, Tuesday night was B Grade and Ladies Masters and Thursday was the Opens and C/D grades. There were some incredibly close games which were fiercely contested and great displays of sportsmanship shown throughout the week.
Congratulations to all of the 2021 champions and to everyone who took part in the championships and made it such an enjoyable event. There were some great games played and the Open final was no exception with the Austin brothers duelling it out in a fast and thrilling game for the Open Champion title.
• Open Champion: Jamie Austin
• Open R/U: Sammy Austin
• Open Consolation Winner: Mark Adams
• Ladies Champion: Amber Adams
• Ladies R/U: Carolyn Austin
• Ladies Consolation Winner: Sandy McDonald
• B Grade Champion: Dean Stanbury
• B Grade R/U: Andrew Pull
• B Grade Consolation Winner: Moey Birmingham
• B Grade Plate Winner-: Sandra Uren
• C Grade Champion: Hugh Breen
• C Grade R/U: Bianca Lyons
• D Grade Champion: Elsey Watson
• D Grade R/U: Nate Stanbury
• D Grade Consolation Winner: Fraser Wythes
• Men’s Masters Champion: Mark Adams
• Men’s Masters R/U: Bill Paul
• Ladies Masters Champion: Carolyn Austin
• Ladies Masters R/U: Tina Earsman
• Ladies Masters Consolation Winner: Sue Johnson
• Ladies Masters Plate Winner: Sandy McDonald
• High School Champion: Sammy Austin
• High School R/U: Elsey Watson
• High School Consolation Winner: Scout Stacey
• Primary School Champion: Connor Watson
• Primary School R/U: Fraser Wythes
• Primary School Consolation Winner: Darcy Palmer
• Most Improved Junior: Sammy Austin
• Most Improved Lady: Elsey Watson
• Most Improved Man: Jamie Austin
The two prestigious club awards which are voted on by all players are the Tony Dunn Sportsmanship Award and the Club Person Award. This year the Tony Dunn Sportsmanship Award went to Amber Adams and the Club Person was awarded to Sue Johnson.
The club acknowledge and thank the following sponsors for their continued support of the Championship: Lawrence’s IGA, Nassau Estate, Swinging Bridge Wines and Viridis Ag. They also thank the following new sponsors who have generously supported the Championships in 2021: Taste Canowindra Bottler, Sportspower Cowra, Sportspower Orange, Orange Tenpin Bowl and Cate Loud “Bear and Big Co. Creative”.